1 a plane figure bounded by two radii and the included arc of a circle
2 a body of people who form part of society or economy; "the public sector"
3 a particular aspect of life or activity; "he was helpless in an important sector of his life" [syn: sphere]
4 the minimum track length that can be assigned to store information; unless otherwise specified a sector of data consists of 512 bytes
5 a portion of a military position
6 measuring instrument consisting of two graduated arms hinged at one end
- A part of a circle, extending to the center.
- a fixed-sized unit (traditionally 512 bytes) of sequential data stored on a track of a digital medium (compare to block)
- An area designated by boundaries within which a unit operates, and for which it is responsible.
- One of the subdivisions of a coastal frontier.
- a fictional region of space designated for navigational or governance purposes; for instance, W:Sector (Star Trek), W:List of Star Wars sectors
part of circle
fixed-sized unit of sequential data storage
- Czech: sektor
military operation area
- Italian: settore
Sector may refer to:
- Sector, Devon, a location in the county of Devon in south-western England
- Sector, West Virginia, an unincorporated community in Hampshire County, West Virginia, United States of America
- Sector (economic): one of several subdivisions in an economic system (used for analysis and classification)
- Sector (instrument), also known as a "proportional compass" or "military compass", a calculating instrument consisting of two rulers (of equal length) joined by a hinge
- Sector (navigation): one of three areas relative to a shallow-water navigational channel
- Circular sector, also known as a "pie piece", the portion of a circle enclosed by two radii and an arc
- United States Coast Guard Sectors, a shore-based operational unit of the United States Coast Guard
- "SECTOR", a United States nationwide radio network operated by the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement
- a subdivision of a mobile phone network cell illuminated by a single directional antenna
- Cylinder-head-sector (or "CHS"), an early method for giving addresses to each physical block of data on a hard drive
- Disk sector, a physical subdivision of space on a computer disk-storage medium, specifically a subdivision of a "track"
- in portal rendering, a convex polygonal segment of map-space used to facilitate calculation of the visibility of objects in a computer display
geographic subdivisions generally referred to as "sectors":
- Guinea-Bissau: Sectors of Guinea-Bissau
- Sector (Star Trek), a fictional area of space-designation used in the Star Trek universe for interstellar navigation
sector in Danish: Sektor
sector in German: Sektor
sector in Spanish: Sector
sector in French: Secteur
sector in Dutch: Sector
sector in Japanese: セクター
sector in Russian: Сектор
sector in Swedish: Sektor
adjunct, component, contingent, crescent, cross section, detachment, detail, district, division, dole, fraction, half circle, hemicycle, installment, item, parcel, part, particular, percentage, portion, precinct, quadrant, quarter, quota, random sample, remainder, sample, sampling, section, segment, semicircle, sextant, share, subdivision, subgroup, subspecies